Spring is a season known for spring showers, but for BGE HOME, it’s also the season for spring tune-ups for your cooling and heating system. Manufacturers recommend you have your HVAC system inspected at least once a year. Spring is a great time to have an air conditioning tune-up before the warm weather hits so you can make sure you and your home stay comfortable all summer long.
Why Should I Get an AC Tune-Up?
There are many reasons you should get an AC tune-up, especially if you want to stay relaxed and cool during the warm summer months. An AC tune-up will help with HVAC maintenance and ensure a cool house all summer long.
- AC tune-ups have been shown to extend the life of AC systems by several years and investing in a tune-up is a great way to save money on future energy bills.
- Air conditioning tune-ups are a great way to clean and restore your AC unit to its most efficient working condition.
- AC tune-ups will prevent the future breakdown of your AC unit.
- AC tune-ups will provide you and your family with better air quality inside your home.
Curious what to expect during BGE HOME 21-point Air Conditioning Tune-Up? Below, we’ve compiled a few tips and pointers on what to expect during your inspection tune-up with us.
Prior to the Air Conditioning Tune-Up
- Prior to your tune-up, our AC technician will try to reach you to let you know he is on the way and provide an updated estimate of his arrival time. Our technicians normally call from a protected number, so if your phone has caller ID, make sure you are prepared to answer if the number comes through as blocked or unknown.
- When you speak to your BGE HOME technician, feel free to let them know the best place to park. Our technicians are happy to back into your driveway or even park on the street – whatever is best for you and your home.
- If you have any pets in the home, we suggest putting them away prior to the technician arriving, for your pets’ safety, and for our own. For most air conditioning inspections, our technician will be inspecting both inside and out of your Maryland home so it’s always the safest to have your pets secured before we arrive.
- This time of year, part of the inspection includes cleaning the coils of your outdoor AC unit. If you haven’t already, it might be a good idea to turn your water valve back on for your outside hose bibb as the technician will most likely ask to use your hose to clean your outdoor unit.
During the Air Conditioning Tune-Up
- When the AC technician arrives, advise him of any issues or concerns you have with your unit before he starts, to ensure the inspection tune-up is as helpful as possible.
- The air conditioning inspection itself will take 35 minutes to an hour. The timing can depend on the location of the equipment and what the technician might find during the inspection.
- Although our technician will be focusing on the outdoor unit, he will ask where your thermostat(s) is (are) located, as well as other parts of your heating and cooling system. Be prepared to show the technician where your furnace or air handler are located as well. The technician will need to know where these are located as the tune-up includes inspecting your indoor coils, blower, and operating system.
- The tune-up also includes an inspection of your outdoor unit. If there are any areas in your yard that you don’t want disturbed, for example new grass or a garden, let the technician know beforehand so they can make sure to avoid them. We take pride in respecting your home – inside and out.
- During the 21-point efficiency tune-up, our technician will complete a 21-point checklist that includes inspecting the overall operating status of the unit, inspecting the refrigerant charge, ensuring that the drain line is clear, checking terminals and wiring, as well as inspecting your system’s capacitor and cleaning your outdoor coil.
After the Air Conditioning Tune-Up
- At the conclusion of the air conditioning tune-up, our technician will provide an overview of the work performed, answer any questions you may have, and bring up any areas of concern that were discovered. This can help you become aware of performance problems with your air conditioning system that you didn’t know existed.
- Our AC technician will also clean up his work space, remove any packaging and equipment that was brought in, and leave your home in the same condition he found it.
With these tips and pointers, you will be more familiar with what to expect for your inspection. We look forward to seeing you for your Spring 21-Point Air Conditioning Efficiency Tune-Up. If you haven’t scheduled your inspection tune-up yet, you can schedule your AC tune-up online..