DIY Air Cleaner and Air Purifier Tips
If you have an air cleaner or air purifier at home, you’ve already taken steps towards creating a healthier environment for you and your family. It’s so easy to forget that the air we breathe is full of dust, chemicals, pollen, pet dander and other contaminants. With an air cleaner, you can eliminate a large portion of these airborne particles, which can be especially helpful if you suffer from allergies.
With the large selection of air cleaners and air purifiers on the market, finding the right one may seem like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It’s recommended to invest in a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, as these filters can eliminate up to 99.97% of air particulate larger than 0.3 microns. Once you have an air filter, consider the tips below.
- Change the filter/media in your air cleaner at least once per year.
- Air purifiers and cleaners need room to breathe, so do not place yours in an area that is crowded or obstructed.
- Avoid opening windows and keeping doors ajar, as this will force your air purifier to work even harder.
If you live in Maryland and you need help finding the best whole house air cleaner for your home, contact BGE HOME today. We carry an impressive selection of energy-saving air cleaners that will get the job done while also lowering your energy bill. Contact our HVAC professionals to learn more.
DIY Humidifier Tips
Humidifiers are an easy way to add water to indoor air, helping Maryland homeowners avoid the dryness that can come with the winter months. There is a plethora of humidifier options on the market, ranging in price from $10 to $800, and finding the right one for your home can be a challenge. If you need help choosing the best type of humidifier for your space, contact your local HVAC company to speak with a specialist.
Once you’ve found the perfect humidifier for your home, consider the tips below to avoid costly maintenance fees down the line.
- Change the water pads in your humidifier unit at least once per year, either at the beginning or the end of the heating season.
- Turn your humidifier on during heating season and off during cooling season (if applicable).
- During extremely cold weather, your home loses humidity and can drop to as low as 5%. Optimal comfort range for humidity levels in your home is 40-55%.
- If you notice condensation on the inside of your windows, the humidity setting may be too high. Turn it down a couple notches.
If you encounter humidifier problems or you’re ready to upgrade to a more energy-efficient model, contact BGE HOME today. We specialize in the installation of whole house humidifiers and we can help you find a solution that meets your needs and budget. Schedule a service today.
DIY Carbon Monoxide Tips
The carbon monoxide detector in your home is very important, as it is in charge of detecting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Most HVAC professionals recommend having a working CO detector installed on every level of your home (especially near bedrooms). There are a couple of things you should do to ensure your carbon monoxide detector is working efficiently.
- Push the “TEST” button at least once a month on your CO detector alarm to ensure it is functioning properly.
- Have your CO detector inspected by a professional at least once a year.
If you live in Maryland and you need assistance choosing the best carbon monoxide detector for your home and budget, get an estimate today.
Duct Cleaning Tips
The ducts in your home have an important job: to distribute and clean the indoor air that you and your family breathe. Unless your energy bill has started to suddenly increase, it’s easy to forget about duct cleaning and vent maintenance until something goes wrong. The air duct system in your home is critical to the health of your indoor air environment, so it’s important to have it maintained regularly.
- Ducts should be cleaned at least every five years, or as necessary, to improve the quality of the air in your home and prolong the life of your heating and air conditioning equipment.
When you need a trustworthy and reliable duct cleaning company in the Maryland area, contact the experts at BGE HOME. We offer the best HVAC services in the Baltimore, Rockville, and Frederick areas, and our experts are ready to help.