As the single largest energy user in your home, the purchase of a new heating and air conditioning system is an important decision. A new hating and cooling system requires a lot of consideration, such as your comfort expectations, energy-efficiency preferences, equipment options and HVAC contractor selection. Use the BGE HOME Heating and Air Conditioning Buying Guide to help you find the right system for your home.
As you begin to review heating and cooling solutions, start by evaluating your current comfort conditions. The following questions will help you determine if upgrading to a new HVAC system is an advisable option.
- Are your heating and cooling bills too high?
- Does your heating and air conditioning system breakdown often?
- Does the furnace short-cycle (consistently turn off and on) in the winter?
- Does the air conditioner or heat pump continuously run in the summer?
- Do you notice any rooms in your home that are always too hot or too cold?
- Is the heating or cooling system too noisy?