Hot Water Heaters: Replace or Repair?
Don’t take the comfort and convenience of having hot water in your home for granted. It is not pleasant to shower, bathe, do laundry or wash dishes without it. Deciding whether to replace or repair your water heater is an important decision. We’ve compiled a few lists to help you make an informed decision about your water heating needs.
Reasons to Replace a Water Heater:
- If the cost of the water heater repair is more than 50% of the cost of a new water heater, purchasing a new water heater may be advisable.
- The new model is more energy efficient. Compare the annual energy savings of the new model to the cost of running the old model. Energy efficiency savings may help the new hot water heater pay for itself over several years.
- The equipment is not currently covered by a manufacturer's warranty or service contract, which would cover the costs of repair.
Reasons to Repair a Water Heater:
- The water heater is still under warranty and the problem is covered.
- Based on average life expectancy, the water heater still has enough service years in it to justify the repair.
- Repair costs are reasonable. One rule of thumb identifies "reasonable" as "less than 50% of the cost of a new appliance."
- If your current water heater has been reliable or if you like the model simply not wanting to replace your water heater can be a valid reason for having it repaired.
BGE HOME Advantage
- Get your hot water flowing the same day you call
- Installed by experienced, certified plumbers
- Guaranteed work
- Affordable prices
Whether your old unit broke down or you're looking to repair or increase the operating efficiency of your current water heater, BGE HOME is here to help. Call 1-888-BGE HOME to find out why more Marylanders turn to BGE HOME to replace their water heaters.